Prix Ganay “most sensible” starting point for Cracksman
19 Mar 2018
Anthony Oppenheimer has confirmed that the runaway QIPCO Champion Stakes winner will make his reappearance in France.
Cracksman will make his return in France instead of Dubai. Picture: Racingfotos.com
Owner Anthony Oppenheimer has confirmed that Cracksman will begin his campaign this year in France.
Connections had been pondering sending the runaway QIPCO Champion Stakes winner to Dubai for the Sheema Classic on World Cup night at Meydan on Saturday week.
However, after plenty of discussion the decision has been made to start him off in the Prix Ganay at Longchamp on April 29, which will be the first card at the newly-opened course.
“I think the Dubai race just comes a little bit early in the year, this horse will have a long programme, if he completes it,” said Oppenheimer.
“It’s a long way out to Dubai and to take him out there, have him 100 per cent ready for that, it makes it an awfully long season. The Prix Ganay seems to be the most sensible race to go for.”
Trainer John Gosden said all along last year that Cracksman would be in his element as a four-year-old, although that did not stop him finishing third in the Investec Derby and winning two Group 2 prizes before his seven-length demolition job on QIPCO British Champions Day.
“I’ve seen the horse today and he looks wonderful,” Oppenheimer said on Monday.
Cracksman’s full agenda for this year remains unclear. Betfair make him 4-1 for the QIPCO-sponsored King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Ascot on July 28.